Now that I’m up to date with the Pandemonium CAL I’m progressing at a more sedate speed with 2 parts done each week. This week was parts 11 and 12 (13 comes out tomorrow).
Part 11 ended with some lovely big bobbles, and had some nicely textured stitches before that. With the green I used, it looks like moss to me.
Part 12 ended with some fun stripes of v-stitch making a nice ripply effect.
What will part 13 bring?! Nobody knows, that’s the fun of it 🙂
In between parts of the CAL I have been working on a couple of other things. Firstly the Leila sweater I started last week. Well this one has been through several iterations… I was following the pattern and got to this point (below) where I started wondering if the braids were going too wonky and whether that was going to bug me as I carried on:
Because the pattern is in the round without turning, everything creeps across a bit row by row. I know it is designed that way but I wanted to try other options. I haven’t frogged the bit above, in case I decide to go back to it.
So I tried a few options. The pattern has trebles (UK terms), and a 10 chain loop on every row. Looking back at how we did the braids on the Pandemonium CAL I tried doing it the same: one row with trebles and 10ch loops, then a double crochet row, then back to tr & loops. That didn’t seem to work as it made each loop stretch further so looked different. Then I tried hdcs & loops, then dcs, so I didn’t stretch the loops so far, but was concerned that the increasing wouldn’t be the same. My final version is just trebles and loops like the original pattern but I’m turning and making the loops flip the other way on every other row so they end up on the same side of the jumper. I haven’t got as far as I did above, but I think it’s going to work:
It’s a bit fiddlier as you need to remember to join the 10ch loop into the back of the treble on the rows where you’re working on the wrong side, but as long as you remember to do that it seems ok. I’ll try and get it to the same number of rows as the first attempt to compare and see which one I’ll continue with.
My Inside Crochet magazine arrived last week, and I really liked the idea of making the wraparound skirt that was featured on the front cover. It’s a one size fits all pattern so I’m not really sure if it’s for me or for my daughter, although I think it will probably look better on her. I’ve never made a skirt before, so it’s quite a exciting adventure! The first picture below is a photo of the magazine so you can see what I’m aiming for:
I wasn’t sure how it was going to work, but as you can see I had to do a massively long foundation treble row first, and then fastened that off and reattached further along leaving a length for the ties at each end. So we’re starting from the top from that waistband/ties, and heading downwards with a small increase each end as you go down. It looks a little strange at the moment, and not much like a skirt, but I’m looking forward to seeing it develop. I love the gentle ripples and the really summery colours. The yarn is lovely too. I splashed out a little to get the recommended yarn as I felt it was important to get the right drape, and not be too warm. It’s Stylecraft Linen Drape which I bought from Wool Warehouse.
If you’re reading this and thinking about doing some crafting, go for it, it’s really good for you! Crafting can help you live in the moment and quiet your thoughts as you concentrate on what you are working on. Whether it’s crochet, knitting, macrame or a whole host of other creative crafts, it can really help your mental health. So do it, try it, enjoy it 🙂