On the Hook, 17/10/20

Things have been a bit experimental recently.

The spiral jumper has been frogged pretty much back to the start as the increases were still too fast. I’d got to the arm hole level and there was just too much fabric leaving me with puffy sleeves or ripples across the back and front. So it’s now increasing every third row instead of every other. This is how far I’ve got with this version:

Hopefully this will work a little better. I looked at the pattern for the Luna Sweater I made and tried to follow the same kind of maths to get the increasing to be at about the same rate. There were lots of scribbles and sums, but in the end it seemed that just adding one extra non-increase row in every set of rows would do the trick. Could have just tried that anyway, but I was trying to understand the principles behind working this out.

If you remember, the reason I started wanting to make a spiral jumper was because I saw a picture on Instagram of a Tunisian Entrelac pattern. It wasn’t out yet, and there were several people testing it so I saw more pictures. You can see where I’m going here, right? Yup once the pattern came out I just had to try it! I’ve done a tiny bit of Tunisian Crochet years ago, but only made a test dishcloth type thing. I watched a couple of videos and got my head around what you have to do and made a start with some test yarn just to try it. It went ok, so I then thought ‘what yarn do I have?’. I wanted 2 yarns so that I could do alternating colours on the panels. I realised I had that lovely blue mix yarn I got from Mum for my birthday and a similar lilac mix yarn (lurking in my stash) that might go nicely with it. The blue mix is Cygnet Watercolour DK in Blue Horizon and the lilac mix is James C. Brett Marble DK in MT53. This is what it looks like so far:

It looks really different at different points around the yoke as both the yarns are gently changing colours as it goes along. I like the effect, and it turns out that Tunisian Entrelac crochet is really quite addictive. There’s something very satisfying about it. I’m probably going to start again as it won’t lay flat so I think my hook size and tension are a bit off, what with learning as I go. I am also trying to do a fingering weight pattern in DK, so who knows if it will actually work out! It’s fun experimenting with it anyway.

All this experimenting is beneficial to me in terms of learning to design and learning new techniques, but also in terms of learning to accept mistakes. I’m trying to make them into learning opportunities instead of getting frustrated. Sometimes when you realise something you’re working on isn’t turning out as you planned it can make you want to give up, and you feel frustrated and cross that you’ve ‘wasted’ lots of time on it. But I’m trying to remember that the best way to learn is to try, and when it doesn’t work out, try again and learn from what went wrong before. I’m getting better at this, but I do still get annoyed with myself.

Published by Suzy Shipman

I like to take photos and write words ...

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: